For the past few days we have been able to visit different villages around Tanzania. On Sunday we visted a village called Luvaya. Monday we had Swahili lessons. Tuesday we visited Kivuga and we just came back from Misela.
These vists are such amazing experience for many reasons and that fact that very few outsiders are able to experience it makes my time here that much more special.
When we enter a village they greet us like Kings. The Maasai and other Tanzanians have a degree of hospitality that is completely lost in the west. We aren't a burden, they are genuinely happy to see us. Not because we bring money and gifts, that doesn't matter to them, but because we come as friends interested to see their wonderful homes and families and to worship together.
Luvaya is located just north of Dar. It is one of PH's 124 congregations... did you hear that?! 124! He tries to stop by each at least 2 times a year... you do the math. We took the main road 3/4 to dar then turned onto a secondary (dirt) road north to save time. As we rolled through the bush people had many reactions to us. Those that knew PH greeted us with warm smiles and waved. Some gawked at the site of a truck, in the bush, filled with white people. Some hid their faces. And yet some children ran away screaming, we were the first white people some of them had ever seen. Moreto, one of the Maasai teachers who came with us, told us that the first time he saw a white man he was 12. A car rolled by and he thought ghosts were inside. He went and hid under a rock, literally.
When we left we were in a rush, PH thought we were going to be late. But when we rolled into town.... there wasn't a soul in sight. We got out and soon a crowd of people came to greet us. They immediately insisted that we sit down. It was very important that we sit down. Above all else we were to come inside and sit in the tiny little Kitis (chairs)... I'm not sure why they have this obsession with making us sit down. What do they think we've been doing in the car for the past hour and a half? exercising?
We were each givin a HUGE glass of tea. It was made from milk that was purified in a gord with charcoal. It had a rich smokey flavor and they added ginseng to give it a kick. Along with the tea they always serve small pieces of fried dough. They are like doughnuts without the sugar and are DELICIOUS!
Soon after (and by soon I mean 2 hours) we started the church service. Instead of church bells, the choirs sing to summon the villagers to service. It is amazing music that is sung with such soul and vibrancy. I know there is no written music, and the harmonies are not set either. But Tanzanians just know how to harmonize! Once everyone had arrived we entered the church. They gave us, the guests, the best seats in the house and 2 of the 4 hymnals. The literacy rate is about 25% so they couldn't have used them, but I still felt like they were doing way too much for us. As PH and Luka (his assistant and trained evangelist) went through the service, which was in Swahili, they would whisper the page number so we could follow along and attempt to sing the hymns. It didn't help much, they speak way faster then our teachers do in lessons. But I was able to catch the occasional word or two.
Offering was very exciting. In the states we very placidly pass plates around, sing a short hymn, and in a matter of seconds, its over. But in Tanzania, the choir gets up and dances. The people bring their offering up to the altar. And I am always surprised as to what goes up to the offering bin. Many people chip in a few coins, maybe some bills, but money is hard to come by sometimes. So the people offer what they have. Bars of soap, gourds, melons, clothing etc. And it was really exciting to see CHICKENS... IN THE OFFERING PLATE! If I brought a live chicken (or frozen chicken for that matter) to Grace Lutheran Church back home in Ripon Wisconsin for offering I'm sure a few member of the congregation would have a heart attack.
After the service, all of the non-monetary items are auctioned off and the money is given to the church. In Luvaya, Kim bought a chicken for 3 dollars and donated it back to the church so a family could it eat. She also bought a few kitenges (skirts).
Each village worship/visit follows roughly the same schedule. So to save time I'll give you the schedule and just give the highlights of the trips.
Arrival- SIT DOWN
Tea time
Wait two hours
Service starts
..... 3 or 4 hours later
service ends
Offering Auction
Meal
Play with the children
Goodbyes
Departure
From the time we get there to the time we leave 5-8 hours have gone by. While the service was finishing up today, the Maasai shepherds were coming home from herding, along with all the cattle.
Luvaya (Sunday): It was my first visit, I was able to practice swahili. Food was delicious. Moreto and Kidege (maasai teachers) came with us and were able to lead us through the service
Kivuga (Tuesday): all maasai congregation. AMAZING choirs with the most interesting dances (will expand more in future blogs). Knew a little bit more swahili. I was able to tell them my name, where I came from, and the fact that Holland is a small country.
Misela (Wednesday): Misela is located in the middle of nowhere, Tanzania. We offroaded, literally, for about and hour before we stumbled across the village. While there, I was given much more respect then the girls. They always shook my hand first (if they even shook the girls hands), I was greeted with Shickamo (a very formal and respectful greating by the children usually only given to elders), and during the service I got to sit right next to a very prominent Masaai elder. He personally invited me to sit by him. The girls had to sit on the other side of the... well... church area? (There was no church, we were outdoors). I was also able to receive communion with the men and elders. The women had to wait till the third time around. After the tea and before the service we formed a circle with our chairs and tried to communicate with each other. PH was off with the elders catching up on recent events and touring the village. Luka did some translating, but we were mainly on our own. It was great. I got to know one guy about my age pretty well, his name was Paulo. I also was basically the only one the men would talk to. The village women were preparing meals and getting the children ready.
At the offering auction I bought a goat and donated it to the village. His name was Alfredo. Alfredo was supper jumpy and very strong. I was able to get few steady pictures of him.
Also, bubbles and stickers are a big hit with the kids. We have a lot of fun anyways, because we are generally the only white people they have had close contact with. But the bubbles are just an insane amount of fun.
Overall it has been an exciting few days. I'll expand more on my thought and feelings in my next post. But its pretty late here and I need to go to bed. But lastly... highs and lows.
Low: The bugs. Bugs here are either super small, annoying, and travel in the thousands (aka mosquito and ants) or they are disgusting, should-be-classified-as-poodles, beasts of burden (aka giant millipede, 8 inch snail, huge praying mantis with horns and smalls blades for arms).
High: I truly felt the presence of God in worship and in each of the villagers. I may not have understood what they were saying... but I defiantly knew what they were saying.
also: I think I was able to post some pictures to my facebook page. Here is the link:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/album.php?aid=2025994&id=123702240&ref=mf
It takes me about 45 to add 5 photos, so be patient :) and if the link doesn't work, you should be able to navigate through the face book website. I have an open profile
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Josh I'm glad that you're having a wonderfully life-changing experience! And you've only been there for a week. Probably less! Anyways, i dont know what you're talking about, but at my church we ALWAYS leave live animals in the offering basket. But really, that sounds so awesome! Also, I looked at your facebook and those bugs are terrifying! Don't get attacked anytime in the near future. Have you seen any sweet safari animals yet?? Okay, have a nice day/night/i dont know what time it is there.
Thanks Hilary.
We are nine hours ahead of your time. And unfortunately, no,I haven't seen any cool safari animals yet. Except a European stork that migrates down here for winter. And we almost hit a baboon with our car, they tend to sprint across the roads when they think no one is coming. Its kinda funny. Sometimes they just sit on the side of the road, just like a human, and I see them and am like, "OH another white person, how weird, he's just sitting their. Why is he wearing a sweater? What is wrong with his face? Oh... it has a tail... that's a baboon." How our species evolved I'll never know.
Post a Comment